Lune River Salmon and Sea Trout Fishing At Halton and Skerton
Permits available from: -
Bank House Fly Fishery
Low Mill, Caton, LA2 9HX
Tel 01524 770412
8am-8pm mon-sun ONLY
River Lune Halton top beat
Halton top beat has long slow deep pools, which are not suited to salmon fly fishing except in high water. It is a very good high water beat and many fish are caught in spinning when other beats are not fishable. Salmon can be caught on the fly during high flows, as the river levels fall shrimp fishing is more successful. Fly-fishing for sea trout at night works well.
There are twelve rods available daily. Left bank from 50 meters above forge weir to Escow Beck. Salmon fly and artificial lure only until June 16th this is a regional byelaw, all legal methods thereafter. Coarse fishing is available on this beat between the 1st of November and the 14th of March. Parking is available in the Hermitage car park on the Halton road.
No wading or fishing beyond the central line of the river on the Halton beats.
Halton Lower beat
Halton Lower beat has three main holding pools which all fish the fly well. There are eight rods available daily.
Left bank - from Denny Beck upstream to a point 50 yards below forge weir.
Fly only, except when the water level is over 15 inches on the gauge at Halton Toll Bridge, and then all legal methods are allowed. Fly only before June 16th. Parking is available adjacent to Denny Beck bridge on the Millennium Cycleway.
No wading or fishing beyond the central line of the river on the Halton beats excepting the area between Old Halton Toll Bridge and Halton Weir. Halton Lower Beat.
River Lune Skerton beat
Both banks from marker post in the tidal area below Carlisle Bridge, upstream to Howe GhyIl Beck. The area below Skerton Weir is tidal and has some excellent fly water with the Area below the weir between the black and white and red and white marker posts fly only. No fishing is allowed between the black and white marker posts and weir or from the weir itself, all legal methods are allowed on other areas of this beat.
There are six rods available to salmon and trout anglers daily. Coarse angling is allowed above Skerton Weir. Parking is available on riverside roads, Opposite Kingsway centre and Lansil Industrial Estate.
- The Environment Agency reserves the right to refuse a permit and to ask anyone to leave the fishery that is found to be breaking the rules.
- No fishing on weirs or bridges. Brown trout ticket is fly only.
- Anglers fishing for trout, sea trout and salmon must move down the pool at a rate of one metre per cast.
- This permit does not authorise access via private property.
- No dogs on Halton Top Beat.
- Barbless hooks to be used at all times.
- Tickets are non-transferable and only valid for the date stated.
- Agency rod licence must be held.
- No litter.
- No wading or fishing beyond the central line of the river on the Halton Beats.
- One rod may be transferable to juniors under the age of 16 provided an adult accompanies them.
- No bubble floats allowed.
- All rainbow trout to be killed when byelaws permit.
- Dead Salmon must be tagged
- No spinning for coarse fish.
- Coarse fishing on Halton Beats Between Nov 1st and March 14th only.
|Salmon||1st November to the 31st January inclusive.|
|Migratory Trout||1st October to the 31st March inclusive.|
|Non Migratory Trout||1st October to the 14th March inclusive.|
|Coarse Fish||15th March to the 15th June inclusive.|
|Eels in non tidal waters||15th March to the 15th June inclusive.|
|Eels in tidal waters||There shall be no close season for Eels with rod and
line in tidal waters.
Environment Agencies River Lune Fisheries
The Environment Agency retains three diverse areas or ‘beats’ of the lower River Lune providing fishing to the public. Please see below for details on locations and rules.
To help in the conservation of migratory fish only Salmon caught between the 1st of September and the 30th of November in the same year can be taken. Any salmon to be taken must have a tag attached upon capture available from the ticket agents. Tags are not transferable between Anglers, Seasons, or the Rivers Lune and Ribble. For your Health and Safety please remember the river environment can be dangerous. Always take care when you are walking over uneven ground or near water and be particularly careful when wading. We recommend you use a wading stick and life preserver.